Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Foods to Consider If Going Through Chemotherapy

The dance performed last night on the television show 'So You Think You Can Dance' was a tribute to those touched by breast cancer.

As I watched, it brought back memories. You see, 4 years ago, my mom was battling breast cancer.

During chemo treatment, it was hard for her to keep food.

I was thinking when it was tough for her to even keep down food because of the treatment side effects. Dad and I were always thinking of ways to incorporate more nutrients into her diet without feeling icky in the stomach.

There are ways to help digest food or simply eating tainted food.

Have you tried maybe cut / dice vegetables and meat in a pot of soup? The rice soup is a good idea, because then easier to swallow.

Here are other foods that can help:

- Yogurt - Yoplait I think is the best in terms of taste
- Fruit smoothies
- Fruit flavored water, if you do not like to drink tap water
- Veggies(blended like using a Juiceman or something to the likes of that - V8 style)
- Different kinds of meat like chicken, beef, pork, etc. - but mince/cut to extremely small pieces for her so she can chew easily
- Ensure/Vitamin supplement drinks especially for cancer patients - nurses might have samples
- Vitamin supplements (pill version)

This is all I can think of for now. I'll see what else I can dig up that might be of help you.

You might want to ask the nurses for any suggestions on this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment